Sunday, November 11, 2012

C4T #3

Education Rethink
"Redesigning Space"
Mr. Spencer asked his ELL students to design or redesign space to see how they think. He recently asked them to redesign the classroom space and some of them had way off the wall ideas that were just impossible and others came up with more realistic ideas. Space matters when it comes to learning. The more comfortable you feel you seem to learn better and learn more. When he drove home that afternoon he saw an abandoned warehouse and thought if they could redesign that space for the community. I commented back telling him hopefully he could redesign his classroom little by little to make it more homey-like. When I become a teacher I want to have my students feel at home and feel free to express themselves in a positive way.

"Should schools be more boring?"
This post was one of my favorites! He discussed as he was sitting in an airport watching people on their cell phones, he had written half of a fantasy novel, and CNN was blabbering about some propaganda he began to think about school and when he was sitting in math class he would doodle. He says that boredom was often the beginning of creativity for him and wanted others opinions. I commented back telling him I agreed with him and that I wished students would make more of their down time while in class. As a teacher, I hope that my lectures aren't as boring but students need to be able to express themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment