Sunday, October 14, 2012

Blog #7

In this quick video called, The Networked Student, the narrator gives an example of a student in the 21st century classroom and tells how his teacher "teaches". The teacher doesn't lecture often and the student learns from a network of other students, classmates, teachers, and resources. The narrator asks an important question, "Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" and the answer is she teaches him how to build his network and take advantage of opportunites. She helps when he gets stuck and shows him how to communicate, asks respectively for help, how to turn a websearch into a scavenger hunt, and gets excited, and organizes his mounds of information. The teacher hopes when he leaves he'll maintain his network and use it to navigate in his future. I really enjoyed the short video, it wasn't animated or anything fancy but it was very interesting! The narrator was clear, precise, and thorough. I believe everything he said was of importance and I agree with him. As the centuries progress so will our students and technology. The only thing constant is change so therefore, we as educators need to continue to change our styles so that they stay up-to-date.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment

This video was done by a 7th grader on her personal learning environment. It's all on a computer and very well organized. I see she made her short cuts to her frequently used sites on a website called "Symbaloo", I actually want to test it out and see what mine would look like. This student did an excellent job showing how she maneuvers through her PLE and what each site does and why she uses it. She sounded very mature for a 7th grader! I'm very pleased to see our young students learning how to network and use different websites so well! I must admit her PLE is a lot more organized than mine, I feel ashamed to see such a young student so much more organized than I. She made it look so easy so now I'm going to clean mine up and get mine going like hers. I appreciate her uploading that video to YouTube for everyone to learn from! Thank you!

symbaloo

3 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. You did an excellent job! By reading your post it was easy for me to see that you understood the videos, and what we were supposed to gain from the information in them. I agree with you that my PLE is not as organized as it could be ! Symbaloo is a great resource we can use to organize our PLE. I did see one proofreading error.

    1. In this quick video called, The Networked Student, the narrator tells gives an example of a student in the 21st century classroom and tells how his teacher "teaches".
    ( omit the word tells)

    Other than this one error your blog post was great.
    Keep up the good work.

    Kayla Walker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kayla!
    Thank you, thank you!! I fixed the error! I must've started typing an idea out and then changed to another and didn't even think about it but thanks for letting me know! Thanks for the positivity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your PLN will grow the more you use it and you'll know how to organize it based on your own experiences. Good job.

    ReplyDelete