Friday, October 19, 2012

Blog #8



dreamachieverbadge
This is How We Teach Parts 1 & 2

In these two videos Dr. Miller talks about the importance of writing and how writing in this present time is very influential. He begins talking about incremental change is how we use our laptops and the desktop is our 'work area' we can search the web and learn about anything without stepping foot in a library. He wrote a document about the Bush Doctrine all on his computer without a physical book. He published his document in print form and in online form. When you throw away the print form we will still have the online form indefinately.

Also, the perks of doing a document online you can add video and audio to it. One could take threads of different forms of documents and weave them into one document online. Even the newspaper companies are moving from a paper printed document to primarily being an online source. These were the incremental changes Dr. Miller spoke of.

As we begin to work online we can see how the websites we use change frequently and daily. This has become our culture and we now have begun to share our ideas freely. There are minimal restrictions to this new form, he says the only restrictions we have are the ones we place upon ourselves. A person must write a 'compelling composition' one that is interesting and intriguing. It will grasp attention and be shared internationally, it will start arguments and conversations. That is how one can make a difference.

There are more ways than using letters and pictures to express yourself or your document. The web offers new animation and autobots that can retrieve all kinds of information and you don't even have to use Google!

To sum it all up, I believe Dr. Miller is saying instead of using the old pen and paper function to share an idea or thought use multi-media and a computer! When you publish things on the web they get to people faster and when you publish your writings beautifully and different they are eye-catching! It makes people want to read it or at least look at. Yes, by the time I'm an educator I will be able to do this and I specifically want to work with special needs students so I'm not sure if they'll be able to do everything but they will for sure work with technology to learn and express themselves.

Carly's Blog #12

After reading Carly's blog, I absolutely love the format and lay out. It's pretty, colorful, has a not so typical font. She's funny and genuine about herself and her thoughts. I think she came up with a great idea and a lot of students expressed their same feelings in her comments. Carly has come very close to Dr. Miller's theory. The ten options she gave for students to use for their YouTube playlist were thorough and if I had been assigned that I know it would involve lots of time and thinking. I agree with her, that in a perfect classroom students have to think. She listed the videos she added to her playlist and then described why she chose those. I honestly think she did a wonderful job. I can tell she put in a lot of work into this blog and into her playlist.

EDM for Dummies & The Chipper Series
EDMforDummies


In the "EDM for Dummies" YouTube video, two students act out their frustration for EDM 310 class and they made a book called EDM for Dummies to help anyone taking EDM 310. I thought the idea was super cute! I'm sure many students that take EDM 310 can relate to the stress these students feel, especially in the beginning of the semester.
"The Chipper Series" is tummy aching funny!!! I laughed so hard at every episode! The students that made this video came up with several great ideas. If students don't go to school and get an education with a legitimate school, it looks like their life could go like Chipper's.
If I could participate or make a video I think it'd be fun to make a video on why you should be a 'good' teacher. I'd shoot what a 'bad' teacher is such as one that doesn't care what their students do, the kind of teacher that is looked down upon and doesn't uphold to moral standards. This would show students and others that teaching is not only a simple, mindless job. People chose to become teachers because they have a passion for it not because of its sterotype, "Those that can't do, teach."

Learn to Change, Change to Learn, is a phenomenal video, period. This is the first video I've watched that has an older generation of adults admiting the faults that the government and schools have. They are saying, having technology in schools would ultimately change schools for the better. They have seen how much people, especially the younger generation use technology for daily tasks. One of the commentors in the video says children are big communicators, they use text messaging, emailing, and instant messaging but all of those things are banned from their schools. As I was watching, I just began to nod my head; I couldn't agree with them more. I wish I could've joined in on their conversation. The government wants to make school such a rigid place. Full of rules, regulations, children have to be quiet all day; I wish they could see how children would act differently in a more warm, interactive environment. Children don't prosper in a cold, white-walled room with a monotoned instructor. Children are full of life, energy and joy. They want to be comforted, loved, enthralled, amused. Having technology introduced in the classroom would help those that are shy have a voice, help the ones that don't pick up on things as fast, show students a different approach to learning, for children that are hands-on learner they could use it, there are just several ways it would increase the productivity. I just wish those that are writing and approving the laws and bills would take a step into a 21st century classroom and get an eye full.

Scavenger Hunt 2.0
Discovery Education

On PhotoPeach an educator can use this site to post assignments or lessons such as a slideshow and make their students accounts. The teacher can post pictures, audio, and projects for parents to see as well. The students are not able to modify or delete their account. The cost to use this program in the class can be as low as $9/month for up to 50 students!! That's incredibly cheap.

This video Teaching in the 21st Century was made from a Prezi Presentation. The Prezi website offers similar qualities that the PhotoPeach does. Prezi's prices give you a little more bang for your buck at $4.92/month or $13.25/month. Prezi gives you so many choices to make your presentation more entertaining than an average powerpoint. If you're an educator think of all the presentations you'll have to make for your students and all the different lessons you'll teach, that small price won't even put a dent in your wallet.

Animoto is a video making tool. Its ability to analyze music, photos, and content automatically makes this tool unlike any other. This feature gives you the time to work on other things. You can choose your music, pictures, and share it even in high definition. Animoto even offers a mobile app for you to share videos from your iPhone or Android.

Here is my poll I created on Polleverywhere.com. It took seriously, less than 30 seconds to create it. I love it!!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stephanie, I enjoyed reading your blog. It was well written. I like your idea on bringing technology to the special need students. Many educators are afraid to perform that task.

    However, I did find an error in your post.
    "To some it all up" I think you meant to put the word sum.
    Besides minor errors like that one, your blog post looks good!

    Samuel Anderson EDM 310

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Sam! Thank you for your comment & for bringing the error to my attention! I'm going to fix it right away! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie,
    I really appreciate your feedback! Out of all of the posts I have read, I think yours best resembles my personality and my writing. I really like that you didn’t try to butter me up because I’m a lab assistant but I was still blushing with pride at your comments! Well written. I can honestly say that I make laziness look like a superpower when I am uninterested in something, but when I really get inspired and hooked into something, I am a perfectionist. We all have our flaws I guess.
    In talking about the “Learn to Change, Change to Learn” video, I thought it was very cool that you enjoyed it so much that you wanted to be included in the conversation and wanted to have your voice heard. I agree with you! I also think this is a sign of our generation because with all of the media outlets we have, we are used to being able to share, connect, even to vent, with whoever and whenever we want to. I could not have agree more with your statement that: “I just wish those that are writing and approving the laws and bills would take a step into a 21st century classroom and get an eye full”! Sometimes I really wonder how realistic those lawmakers really are. I agreed with a lot of what you wrote and think that we may have been separated at birth! Ha.
    I liked your results from your scavenger hunt! However, your poll was not included so Blogger must have done something fishy to it. Technical difficulties...the one down side to learning in the 21st Century!
    Keep up the BRILLIANT work :)
    Carly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks Carly! I totally felt the same way! The poll link I originally posted didn't work but I went back and fixed it so when you click on the "poll" link it should come up with the question "How many hours does it take you to complete your blog assignments?" Those people that write and pass the laws and bills are only passing and writing whatever benefits them financially or if it gains favoritism for them. Thank you for the uplifting words and you keep up the BRILLIANT work as well!!!

      Delete